Who we are
The Institute of Ocean Research at Peking University (hereinafter referred to as the “Institute”) is the unique oceanographic institution at Peking University. Aiming to understand the ocean and its interaction with our planet and human beings, the Institute puts a stronger emphasis on exploring deep sea and ocean, especially the study of modern marine science, engineering, policy and history. Based on the strength in fundamental research and the advantages in multi-disciplinary subjects at Peking University, the Institute is also dedicated to cultivating future generations of ocean science leaders and fostering innovative collaboration in ocean research.
The Institute invites applications for positions in Marine Engineering/ Advanced Manufacturing. We are seeking exceptional, interactive and creative scientists in the areas of:
(1) Marine Platforms / Equipment, Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering;
(2) Underwater Robotics (Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV), Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV), etc.);
(3) Advanced Design, Fabrication and Manufacturing.
PI / Co-PI positions
The positions are full-time ones and eligible for benefits. PI will play a key role in the design and execution of high quality research and the interpretation of scientific results; Co-PI carries out research work under the lead of PI. While the primary focus of the work will be in research, the PI/Co-PI will have an opportunity to participate in educational and outreach activities associated with the project.
International applicants are usually hired through the “Thousand Talents Plan” or “Thousand Youth Talents Plan” programs (for details, please refer to the website of “Thousand Talents Plan” of China). The applicants should provide the following materials:
(1) A cover letter describing research interests and career goals;
(2) Detailed CV (including personal statement, publication list, research achievements);
(3) Research statement for the next 3-5 years;
(4) Contact information of 3 referees, and domestic applicants (other than current employees at Peking University) should provide no less than 10 references (3 domestic and 7 international references);
(5) Other representative academic achievements.
Qualified applicants must have a Ph.D. in ocean sciences or related fields, and the occupational requirements are the ability to work with and around other individuals as well as alone. Candidates will be contacted if short-listed.
Final date: December 31th, 2016
What we can offer
The successful candidates may be hired as tenured or tenure-track faculty members according to the qualifications. The Institute offers an attractive remuneration package including (1) World-class work conditions and adequate research fund; (2) Internationally competitive salaries; (3) Benefits from Peking University and an extra compensation from the Institute.
Kindly forward your applications to Ms. Fiona, PKU Institute of Ocean Research.
Address: RM511, Leo KoGuan Building, Peking University, Beijing, 100871, China